2/15/2006

The Pupa was comfortable . . .
By Tony Hays


The Pupa was comfortable. He considered himself very fortunate. Although he was not excessively happy, he was quite pleased to live in his self made cocoon. So long it had been since his shameful days of caterpillar-istic ways. "How could I have let myself live that way," he often murmured aloud to no one in particular? One day while lying around on his side, or maybe it was his back, or perhaps even his stomach. He had not been sure what position he was in for some time now. Although he could move slightly from one side to the other, it was rare that he did. For he knew that to expend such frivolous energy in the silly act of moving was to waste that which had been stored up during his days of cocoon-less gluttony. Needless to say, he was in some position and it was ‘one day’. And on this day there came a knocking. It was slight, yet continuous and accompanied by a voice.

"Hello," was the word spoken every few moments followed by that odd tap, tap, tapping.

"Hello yourself," came the Pupa’s delayed response. "So you are alive," said the voice in a manner that smacked of low level amazement.

"Of course I’m alive," said the Pupa, "and who are you?"

"I am called Butterfly."

"Butterfly," said Pupa, " are you some kind of weirdo hippie?"

"No," said Butterfly, "I’m a Butterfly." "I have seen your cocoon here for so long that I wondered if whoever was in it was still alive."

"Well yes," said Pupa, "I am alive, so I hope you are not too disappointed."

"Not at all," replied Butterfly, "it’s just that I was wondering why you are still in your cocoon."

Pupa was astonished that someone …anyone would ask such a bizarre question. "Why would I not be ‘still in my cocoon," spouted Pupa?

"Well," started Butterfly, "eventually you should be getting uncomfortable with the growth of your wings and want to leave."

"Wings," declared Pupa, "what exactly are you talking about?" "I’m a Pupa," said Pupa. "Pupas do not have wings."

"I know," said Butterfly. "I used to be a Pupa too, but then my wings grew in and I left my cocoon."

"You left your cocoon!" Pupa was shocked. How or why would anyone leave their cocoon?

"You’re saying you stopped being a Pupa?"

"Yes," stated Butterfly.

"That is such a foolish thing to do," said Pupa. "How could you return to your shameful ways of caterpillar-ing?"

"I’m not a caterpillar," said Butterfly. "I’m a Butterfly. I haven’t been a caterpillar for a very long time."

"What exactly are you ranting about," grumbled Pupa? He was growing agitated with the ridiculous conversation he was having with this sad and crazed being with delusions of wings.

"I used to be a caterpillar, but then I made myself a cocoon and became a Pupa. After staying a Pupa for a while I metamorphosed into a Butterfly and left my cocoon," explained Butterfly.

"Metamorphosed?" Pupa was befuddled and amused by the foolish talk of this disembodied voice. He knew well the pratfalls and temptations of being a caterpillar. He himself had stayed a caterpillar for an excessively long while. He relished gorging on fresh green leaves. He had gorged and gorged for such a while that his body had grown large. He was the largest caterpillar that he had ever known to exist. He simply had not wanted to cease his practice of caterpillar-ism and make a cocoon. But once he had reached the state of scarcely being able to move he had become so fearful that he repented of his shameful ways and made himself his wonderful cocoon.

"Yes metamorphosed. All Pupas are supposed to metamorphose into a Butterfly after a while," stated Butterfly.

"You’ve obviously been away from your cocoon too long," said Pupa. "You need to make a re-dedication and return to your cocoon. To live outside of a cocoon is simply foolish."

"I’m sorry Pupa, but I could no more return to my cocoon than I could return to being a caterpillar."

"But all this talk of wings and being a Butterfly is so sad and obviously a cry for help. I remember how tempting it is to wonder lost, gorging on leaves and refusing to submit to the safety and excellence of a cocoon. Let go of your pride and ignorance Butterfly. Return to your cocoon." Pupa knew that he understood Butterfly’s misdirection. He was once lost and stubborn as well.

"I’m sorry Pupa, but that’s just out of the question. I’m not going to pressure you to metamorphose, but you’re really missing out on flying," said Butterfly.

"You poor, sad, deluded creature. I’ll pray for you," said Pupa.

"That’s very nice," said Butterfly. Then he flew away.

The End


5:12 AM


Comments:
haha i was like, HUH? i saw this a few days ago actually on the day you posted. then i was like. What is a pupa.
today i was bored so i read it again. now i realised what a pupa is.
LOL.
it just seems so foreign to me now.. until i saw "larva"
 
Post a Comment
Profile

loves roaming around the world
wishes for snow....
loves where she is and what she's now doing



Shoutouts

"your best friend isn’t the person who bails you out of jail, they are the one who’s sitting next to you saying... that shit was freakin' awesome!"

Links
Blue Room
Lonely Planet
Fodors


Credits
Image
Designer